Leaks, spills, and pipe bursts are obviously annoying, filling up floor space or damaging walls. However, the water can lead to more nefarious building issues that many property owners don’t discover until it’s too late. Water damage in Wilmington, NC, can hide in plain sight, so you should call professional services when you suspect its presence.
What Leads to Water Damage?
Water damage occurs from various indoor and outdoor factors. Failing to address it could cause long-lasting and severe property damage. You may want to consider calling a restoration company if you notice or suspect any of the following occurrences:
- Roof leaks: Water can enter your property through gaps, cracks, or other damage in your roofing. The water then soaks into the wood and other materials in and around the roof or attic.
- Severe weather: Different weather events may batter the outside or inside of your property beyond what it can take. For example, high winds can strip the protection from your roof, and storm flooding can damage the walls and floors.
- Appliance leaks: Home appliances like dishwashers and washing machines use a substantial amount of water. Poor piping connections could cause a leak behind the machine that you don’t notice immediately.
- Plumbing issues: A burst pipe can occur without you knowing it, sending water into the walls. Clogs can also cause system backups that unknowingly leak water. If a sump pump doesn’t work well, it could fail to drain waterlogged spaces, leading to constant moisture exposure.
- AC condensation: Many air conditioners use water lines to help remove condensation. If the water line leaks, it could spill into the walls, soaking them from within.
What Hidden Water Damage Can Do
In general, water damage in Wilmington, NC, leads to major inconveniences, like flooding or furniture damage. When you call for water damage restoration services, you will likely ask the team to address what’s in front of you. But don’t forget to have them check for signs of hidden water damage, which could spell trouble for the property over time.
Mold grows in moist and dark places, such as between cracks, behind walls, or inside the ductwork. When water spills and seeps into dark areas within the property, it can settle and create prime conditions for mold growth. The microbes then grow and spread in those spaces, causing allergic reactions and other health issues.
Water can interfere with hidden electrical wiring, causing it to react by sparking, potentially leading to a fire. Call an electrician if you suspect water damage and see signs of interference, like flickering lights.
Hidden Property Damage
Over time, water may seep into and expand cracks in drywall, concrete, and other materials. It can also cause wood to decay and waste away, weakening the structural integrity of your building. Without intervention, severe water damage can deteriorate the property’s foundation.
How To Protect Your Property From Water Damage
Take action when you notice potential water issues to ensure the functionality of your household appliances and property’s safety. Of course, preventative measures can also lessen the chances of water damage.
For example, if you know frigid weather is on the way, insulate your outdoor pipes and run the faucets on a slow drip. This will keep the pipes from freezing and bursting. You might also want to schedule regular plumbing maintenance so an expert can catch signs of a problem.
Consider getting flood insurance since most homeowners’ policies don’t include it. While they often cover heavy rainfall and storms, floods have high repair costs, so you must seek third-party compensation. Does your area tend to flood on rainy days? If so, investing in flood insurance could save you thousands.
If you notice signs of an existing issue, like buckling floors or splotchy wall spots, try to locate the source. You may be able to shut off the water valve to prevent further damage, or it may be from a roof leak. Address these issues by scheduling water damage repairs with a reputable restoration company.
For Expert Water Damage Repairs, Call Pride Restoration of NC, Inc.
A professional can address water damage causes and problems in a timely fashion. Faster and more efficient water damage restoration services can reduce how much you need to pay. Moreover, they’ll get your property up and running sooner so you can return to your daily tasks.
Pride Restoration of NC, Inc. has over 30 years of experience combatting water damage in Wilmington, NC, and nearby cities. Their services can prevent mold growth, restore damaged property, and reinforce your building at reasonable prices. Since they offer 24/7 emergency services, you can call them anytime, even during the holidays.
To schedule your appointment or ask about their services, call (910) 302-3155 today.